Krista Affleck - Director, Analytical Development
- Master of Science degree from the University of Prince Edward Island (2002).
- Hired by BioVectra as a Quality Control Chemist (2002).
- Joined R&D group as Research Technician in 2003.
- Joined Analytical Chemistry group in 2008.
- Promoted to Group Leader on the Analytical Chemistry group in 2012.
- In 2014, became the Manager, Analytical Support, and Development in the R&D group.
- In 2018, became the Director, Analytical Development.
Dr. Atul Pathak - Director, Drug Development
- Bachelor and Master in Pharmacy from the Dr. Harisingh Gour University, Sagar, India.
- Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences from the CSIR Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology, New Delhi, India.
- Postdoctoral Research at the Harvard Medical School/Program in Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Boston, developing lipid and polymer based siRNA delivery systems.
- Authored numerous peer-reviewed publications and is a co-editor of a book on Cationic Polymers based Non-viral Gene Carriers.
- Senior Scientist at the Mylan and Novartis managed Pharmaceutical research and development of complex generic and pediatric product development.
- Assumed Associate Director role at Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories, contributed in formulation technology, science and technology, and commercial strategy.
- Joined BioVectra in 2017 as Director to lead Drug and product development program.
Dr. John Riley - Director, Process Development and Technical Support Chemistry
- Obtained a B.Sc. for Biology and Chemistry from the University of New Brunswick in 1998.
- Obtained a Ph.D. in Chemistry, with a specialization in Organic Chemistry, from Dalhousie University in 2003.
- Served as a post-doctoral fellow at the University of South Florida in 2003, and Queen’s University from 2003-2005.
- Joined BioVectra Inc. in 2006 as a Research Scientist.
- Promoted to Senior Scientist in 2012.
- Worked extensively on the synthesis of functionalized polyethylene glycol polymers for use in protein conjugate therapeutics.
- The author of two patents in the areas of Polyethylene glycol purification, and small molecule formulation.
- In 2018, became the Director, Process Development and Technical Support Chemistry.
Dr. James (Jim) Stout - Director, Process Science, Biologics
- Over 20 years of process and technology leadership in the biopharmaceutical industry
- Ph.D. in Chemistry (Biochemistry major, Analytical Chemistry minor) at the University of Cincinnati
- NIH Post-Doctoral Fellow at the University of Cincinnati, College of Medicine
- Adjunct Professor at Providence College in Rhode Island and the University of Rhode Island, teaching general chemistry, organic chemistry, and biochemistry
- Industry experience highlights:
- Vice President, Process Sciences at Natrix Separations
- Director, Process Science & Engineering at ImmunoGen
- Associate Director, Process Development at Shire HGT
- Director, Purification Sciences at Amgen
- Group Leader, Purification Process Sciences at the Abbott Bioresearch Center
- Process development leadership positions at Medarex and Alexion
- Manufacturing achievements:
- Developed and characterized an improved refolding and recovery process for an E. coli made recombinant ScFv to complement C5 and scaled it from lab bench to 50,000L in cGMP manufacturing (Alexion Pharmaceuticals)
- Designed a new orthogonal analytical assay using hydrophobic interaction chromatography for assessing the charge variants in Humira®
- Assessed and pioneered advancement of the recovery process for Enbrel®, implementing new resins and new filters to streamline the original purification process, and improve throughput and yield
Dr. Gailene Tobin - Program Manager, Research and Development
- Ph.D. Department of Biomedical Sciences. Cancer Immunology. University of Prince Edward Island, Atlantic Veterinary College (AVC).
- B.Sc. Immunology/ Microbiology of Zoonotic diseases. Department of Pathology and Microbiology. University of Prince Edward Island, AVC.
- Graduate Diploma in Aquaculture. Marine Institute of Memorial University. St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador.
- M.Sc. (Honours) – Animal Science. Dalhousie University. Nova Scotia.
- In addition to her scientific research background, Gailene has been directly involved in the business side of Science and Innovation, holding Director level positions in government (2000-2013) in the Life Sciences, Technology, and Strategic Planning portfolios. She also completed a Finance Certificate from the Executive Education Centre, Schulich School of Business, and York University.
- Gailene’s contributions to entrepreneurship, economic development, and innovation in the past spanned a variety of provincial, federal and international committees and memberships.
- Gailene has lectured at the University of Prince Edward Island, and her publications include three authored and co-authored book chapters specific to discovery and development of cancer-based natural products.
- Gailene joined BioVectra in 2016 as a Business Analyst for Strategic Partnerships and Portfolio Management.